Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hiking: Staying fit and preparing for next 10 miler

Urban hiking with Khizer in Hanover, PA
I've been hiking quite a bit these past few weeks to stay fit and prepare myself for my next 10-miler, which I plan to do sometime within the next week, and possibly tomorrow.

Last week I did a five-mile urban hike on Thanksgiving day, in Hanover, PA, the town where I went to high school and where my mom and brother still live. And on Black Friday, I went with Khizer and my brother Zach to the town of Harper's Ferry, WV, where we did a rigorous 5.5-mile hike. 

For the Harper's Ferry hike we parked at the offices of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy on Camp Hill to do an out and back trek to the Overlook Cliffs at Maryland Heights. We hiked down to the old town through Harper Cemetery and then along the AT to follow the rail road tracks to cross the Potomac. From the Maryland side we followed the old C&O Canal path to the trail head to Maryland Heights, where we hiked to the cliffs and enjoyed spectacular views of the town and Shenandoah Valley beyond.

Zach and Khizer overlooking Harper's Ferry, WV
Back in Massachusetts, I did another 5-plus mile hike along the entire Rock Circuit Trail in the Middlesex Fells with friends on Sunday. On Tuesday, Khizer and I did a four-miler exploring Tippling Rock and the trails at the Nobscot Boy Scout Reservation. And then today I did a three-mile hike, this time in the eastern Fells.

Tomorrow, I will plan to do at least a 7-mile hike. To date I haven't completed the Skyline Trail in the Fells, which is the major part of my planned third 10-miler. If I feel up to it, I will follow my prepared 10-mile hike plan. But because of time constraints I will probably opt to just do the Skyline.

Hiking is keeping me in great shape, and I've noticed that each time I hit the trails I'm breathing easier than the time before and feeling like I can go further and further. Time is really what's keeping me from doing more frequent long hikes (hikes of five miles or more). But I'm certainly achieving my goal of hiking 20 miles per week, so I'm glad about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment