Monday, November 21, 2011

More about my mission

The aim of this blog is highlighted in the first post, On becoming a man of merit (November 17, 2011). In that post, I mentioned that - as a middle-aged man - I'm trying to complete requirements for several BSA merit badges, ones that I would have liked to have completed before I dropped out of the Boy Scouts organization for personal reasons in the 1980s. But I'd like to explain more about my goals here.

This blog will follow my progress as I work to complete the requirements for the 12 most important merit badges in the BSA, those that are required to earn the Eagle Scout rank. Twenty-one badges are required in all, but according to the Boy Scout Handbook, these 12 must be earned:

  1. First Aid
  2. Citizenship in the Community
  3. Citizenship in the Nation
  4. Citizenship in the World
  5. Communications
  6. Personal Fitness
  7. Emergency Preparedness OR Lifesaving
  8. Environmental Science
  9. Personal Management
  10. Swimming OR Hiking OR Cycling
  11. Camping, and
  12. Family Life

First, I have decided to start by pursuing the requirements for the Hiking merit badge. I am also very interested in earning the Personal Fitness badge, since fitness is one of my primary passions (see Fitness400). First Aid and Emergency Preparedness are also on my short range list, as is Camping. The others I will also work on in turn.

I don't currently have any friends who are involved with the Boy Scouts, but if anyone finds this blog who is in the organization, I would appreciate your input. This is going to be a fun project, and I am excited to see what I'll be able to accomplish with what I learn through the process of becoming a man of merit!



No comments:

Post a Comment