Monday, November 21, 2011

Hiking: Third 10-mile trip plan - Middlesex Fells, Skyline Trail with sections of Cross Fells and Rock Circuit

For my third 10-mile hike I will be doing the Skyline Trail loop and part of the Cross Fells Trail and Rock Circuit Trail entirely within the Middlesex Fells Reservation. According to the Massachusetts Trail Guide, 9th edition, published by the Appalachian Trail Club, the Skyline Trail itself is 6.8 miles. With the portions of the Cross Fells and Rock Circuit I describe below, the total hike will be about 10.8 miles if not longer.

 I’ll start at the Long Pond parking area on South Border Road at around 8 a.m. and take Molly’s Spring Road a short distance to where it connects with the Skyline Trail. From there I’ll follow the north branch as it circles up and around the Middle and North reservoirs. On the east side of North Reservoir I will take the Bear Hill Trail spur to Bear Hill Tower. I’ll then reconnect to the Skyline Trail and continue south to where it meets up with the Cross Fells Trail at Brooks Road.

Crossing Fellsway West and going under Interstate 93, the Cross Fells Trail continues heading east through Wright’s Park until it reaches Woodland Road just past Quarter Mile Pond. Shortly after crossing Woodland Road, I’ll reach the Rock Circuit Trail and take the southern portion of this loop down past Boojum Rock and Bears Den and back north to where it reconnects with the Cross Fells Trail at Fellsway East. I’ll then take the Cross Fells Trail west again, back to where it connects with the Skyline Trail in the western Fells and will continue the southern loop to Wright’s Tower atop Pine Hill.

From the tower, I’ll continue west and north on the Skyline Trail as it runs just below South Reservoir. I will complete the Skyline Trail loop as it once again reaches Molly’s Spring Road, at which point I will follow that road back out to the parking area.

I plan to undertake this hike during late autumn when the days are short, so I will need to keep up a good pace despite the hilly and rugged nature of this intense Fells hike. I’ll be prepared as I have been for the previous two hikes with plenty of rations, layered clothing and a change of socks, which I’ve found has been essential for my feet to remain comfortable, dry and blister-free, particularly after about seven miles on the trail.

I’m not sure when this hike will take place, as I’m heading to Pennsylvania for the Thanksgiving holiday. But rest assured I will do it on the first suitable day I have available either the last week of November or, at the latest, the first week of December.

To keep in shape for this hike, I will continue my habit of hiking between three and five miles per day interspersed throughout each seven-day period to total at least 20 miles per week. In fact, even while on vacation, I will maintain my schedule by hiking part of the Appalachian trail to Chimney Rocks in the Michaux State Forest of south central Pennsylvania and another part of the AT to the overlook of Harper’s Ferry at Maryland Heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment