Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hiking: Second 10-mile report - Weston to Lincoln and Concord

Pastoral scenery along Conant Road
Today I did my second 10-mile hike. This time was a bit easier than my first hike along the Skyline Trail in the Blue Hills, which was extremely rocky and hilly terrain. I only climbed one large hill today – Cat Rock – and that was toward the beginning of the hike.

I started out at 12:40 p.m. from the house where I’m staying on Page Road in Weston, Mass., and headed straight into the woods to cut through Weston Conservation Lands, connecting Weston to Lincoln on Conant Road. The remainder of my hike would be along roadways and well maintained paths.

Once I reached Conant Road I was treated to some spectacular rural scenery around the Valley Pond and Valley Brook areas. I hooked a right from Conant onto Weston Road and passed by Browning Fields. Along this stretch I was surprised to see so many baby boomers out on the road cycling, jogging, and walking. I even saw a couple in their 60s using rock-climbing gear to climb a tree in their yard. It was interesting to say the least!

Pierce Mansion
As I reached the Lincoln Center, I decided to enjoy my lunch on a picnic table beside an elegant Georgian mansion – the Pierce House – in the adjacent Pierce Park. This was the four-mile mark, and my legs were getting tired, but I was excited to press on.

Spot where Lincoln Minutemen mustered
I passed the Lincoln Library and further on a stone marking the place where the famed Lincoln Minutemen mustered to march north to be the first militia to battle the British along the Battle Road. I walked northward feeling strengthened somehow by knowing the history and the strength of those men who marched here more than 200 years ago facing uncertainty in their brave attempt to forge a new nation.

About a mile and a half north I crossed Massachusetts Route 2, and then soon I was entering Minute Man National Historic Park. My first impression of the park was the Captain William Smith House at the corner of Bedford Road and North Great Road. Smith was the commander of the Lincoln Minute Men and Abigail Adams’ brother.

I turned left on the old battle road here and continued down toward the Samuel Hartwell House site. On this path I read a vivid description of the British Column, close to 700 soldiers that took up about 300 yards of the road as they marched from Meriam’s Corner in Concord to Boston Harbor. It sent chills down my spine.

British soldier on Battle Road
I then headed off the Battle Road to continue west on North Great Road, which turns into Lexington Road as it moves into Concord before Meriam’s Corner. It was getting dark, but along Lexington Road I enjoyed more pastoral scenes, including the sun setting on the historic farm behind Noah Brooks’ Tavern, and a bit farther down the road near Meriam’s Corner, the Palumbo Farm.

Once I passed the intersection of Lexington Road and Old Bedford Road, known as the aforementioned Meriam’s Corner, I was just two miles from Concord center, where I would catch the train back to Kendal Green. But still some surprises were in store. On my way into town I passed by the Grapevine Cottage, home of Ephraim Wales Bull, originator of the Concord Grape, The Wayside, home of Nathaniel Hawthorne, and The Orchard House, home of the Alcotts and the famous “Little Women”.

By this time it was starting to get dark. Fortunately, there was a walkway along the road where I could stay safely out of the way of traffic, which wasn't the case for much of the time I spent on the roads today. Still, I picked up my pace despite the extreme soreness I was beginning to feel in my knees and calf muscles.

Sun sets on Palumbo Farm
Finally, I made it to Concord, where I made my way down Main Street to Thoreau Street and the commuter rail station. I arrived just before 5 p.m., an hour before I anticipated. My total trip time was just over four hours. I calculated my pace at about 2.5 miles per hour, given two stops I made to refuel along the way. Since I was early for the train, I waited at the Starbucks down the street.

All in all, it was an amazing day. I feel I’m pushing my limits while at the same time seeing my limits being stretched out farther and farther in the distance. Who knows what I’m capable of, but one this is for sure: After a few more of these 10 milers, I’ll be ready to take on a 20-mile hike without hardly breaking a sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment