Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hiking: Exploring 80 Acre Woods, counting my steps

Hilly wilderness, so close to home, in 80 Acre Woods
This morning I decided to do an experiment to see if I could estimate the distance I walk based on the number of steps I take. I measured a quarter mile on the street in front of my house and walked it - it took 500 normal steps. Then, I headed out and counted my steps as I explored the nearby woods.

The area by the house is called Cat Rock and 80 Acre Woods. It's an amazing place that in the three or so months we've lived here I haven't fully explored. Today I walked as far as I could, to the northwest corner of Weston and into Lincoln. I discovered that the walk was 4.5 miles there and back, or about 9,000 steps.

I currently walk at least 20 miles per week, usually more. Based on an article I read recently, in order to maintain optimum fitness you should walk at least 10,000 steps, or five miles, per day. That would be 35 miles per week, which is the goal I'm currently working up to. My new year's resolution, in fact, will be to walk 1,800 miles in 2012.

Near trail's end on Lincoln Land, past 80 Acre Woods
The hike I did today has a fair amount of elevation gain, probably between 300 and 400 feet, so it really gets your heart pumping, especially during the first half. I plan on adding this hike to my regular rotation. Next time I do it I'll time it so I can get a good idea as to my average speed for a typical cross-country hike.

Tomorrow I plan on heading out to do my third 10-mile hike as part of my quest to fulfill the requirements for the BSA hiking merit badge. I hope one day this blog will inspire others to get out there and start hiking for fitness.

I am still in the planning stages for my fourth and fifth 10 milers. And I haven't even begun to seriously consider the 20-mile hike I will need to complete in order to satisfy all the merit badge requirements. I do know, however, that the final 10 miler as well as the 20 miler will probably be completed in New Mexico after our move there at the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment