Friday, December 16, 2011

Camping: Time to pitch the tent?

We opted for a two-man tent, on sale for $20
This begins the Camping thread of Man of Merit. I recently bought a two-man tent for twenty bucks at Bass Pro Shops. The plan was to have something basic, so on our road trip from Florida to Massachusetts last summer we could save money by staying at campgrounds instead of motels. We didn’t use the tent once, choosing to sofa surf instead because finding an appropriate campground was a daunting task since we were traveling with dogs (and because neither of us had been camping for years).

Nearly six months after we bought it, we’re heading out on another much-longer road trip, and we probably still will not be using it. Still, once we’re out in Albuquerque we will definitely try it out on an overnight trip one weekend in January. Of course, before that happens, I need to learn (or re-learn) a few things about camping equipment, backpacks, sleeping bags and the like.

I’ll start now by focusing on the first three of 10 progressively difficult requirements. According to the web site Boy Scout Trail, these are:

  1. Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur while camping, including hypothermia, frostbite, heat reactions, dehydration, altitude sickness, insect stings, tick bites, snakebites, blisters, and hyperventilation.
  2. Learn the Leave No Trace principles and the Outdoor Code and explain what they mean. Write a personal plan for implementing these principles on your next outing.
  3. Make a written plan for an overnight trek and show how to get to your camping spot using a topographical map and compass, or a topographical map and a GPS receiver.
Actually, tonight I’ll start by reading the tent’s assembly instructions. Then tomorrow I may take it to the back yard to lay out the parts and verify I’ve got all necessary equipment, perhaps even setting it up, sort of test my knowledge before I’ll need it in the field. Meanwhile, I’ll start considering the overnight trek plan as well, so I’ll be ready to camp the first chance I get once settled in The Land of Enchantment.

No comments:

Post a Comment