Monday, December 19, 2011

Sun sets on our time in the New England woods (as the sun's reborn at yuletide!)

As I write, warm rays pour through the study window as the sun begins its descent along a now familiar arc, here in the Weston woods. We’re fast approaching the sun’s rebirth, winter solstice. Until then, each day’s sun seems to race ever quicker toward the western treetops, where it lives on, filtered, for about an hour, until it finally gasps its way into night.

Sun sets, rays filtered by the Weston woods
This evening’s sunset will be more significant to me than most, because it will be the last I experience as a New England resident, here in the northern woods and forests. Until last week, this time of day would have seen me wandering about Cat Rock and 80 Acre, or perhaps somewhere in the Middlesex Fells. But today the cold air, and my need to focus on preparing for our move, keeps me indoors.

While I love it here in New England, and elsewhere in these northern climes, by Thanksgiving I’m usually too affected by the shortened days to remain so far north. This year we have been lucky, and sunny warm days had been the norm until about a week ago. No matter that things have turned cold now, though, as by the New Year, the sun will be closer to me, in both latitude and altitude. And once again I’ll be outside among nature each day at sunset – so long as my work schedule allows.

Living here has afforded such an opportunity for me, and I’m forever indebted to the kind people who opened their home for these few months as we transition to our new life on the subtropical steppe of New Mexico. Having places to hike so close to home has truly opened up a new world for me. I feel more connected to nature, understand the importance of conservation and community and feel more fit than I ever have in my life.

I look forward to living in an even more hiking-friendly place (if one exists!) and continuing to incorporate hiking into other interests I have, like camping, wilderness survival, Leave No Trace living and teamwork and leadership. I’m also excited to continue pursuing the goals of this blog and becoming each day more a man of merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment