Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Kayaking: First experience, with New Mexico Kayak Instruction

I'm still working on my hiking, swimming and public speaking merit badges, but tonight I will begin working on requirements for another badge - kayaking. I'll be attending a "pool party" hosted by New Mexico Kayak Instruction where I will have a chance to learn from kayaking expert Kelly Gosset the basics of kayaking to fulfill the first few requirements of the kayaking merit badge.

Before meeting with Kelly I will be reading up on kayaking in the Boy Scouts of America Fieldbook. Then, after my first experience with kayaking tonight I will be blogging about what I learned. Specifically I'll be talking about requirements merit badge requirements 2 and 3, which are:
  1. Do the following: Describe various types of kayaks and how they differ in design, materials, and purpose. Name the parts of the kayak you are using for this exercise. Demonstrate how to choose an appropriately sized kayak paddle and how to position your hands.
  2. Do the following: Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe trip afloat. Demonstrate how to select and properly fit a PFD. Explain the importance of safety equipment such as PFDs, air bags, grab loops, and helmets.
I will be meeting Kelly at his storage facility prior to the event to help load the kayaks and deliver them to the pool. Then, while at the event, I'm not sure yet if I will actually get into a kayak or not. I'm the kind of person who tends to over-think things, and I still have a bit of anxiety regarding my weight and buoyancy, but if I feel confident in the moment I will go for it.

Stay tuned for more on my kayaking adventures here on the Man of Merit blog. Also, read about my story of overcoming super obesity at MyFitLife2Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment