Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hiking: Giving back to the community that gives so much

I suppose you could call me an avid hiker now. That's hard to fathom considering where I was just a few years ago. But it's true! In 2011, I was concerned I wouldn't be able to endure a two-mile walk in the woods. Now I've summited at least a dozen mountains and can handle hikes with as much as 4,000 feet of elevation gain and happily trudge fairly significant distances. I've gotten so much out of hiking, in fact, that now I feel it's time for me to give back.

Man of Merit and HikeyHikey blogger, Brian, on the Mill Creek Trail
Pennsylvania is home to an extremely active hiking community, a fact that was lost on me when I previously called this state home. I had spent the better part of a decade living in Pennsylvania - off and on from the mid-1980s to the late-1990s - and back then I can honestly say I only truly experienced the mountains of Pennsylvania through my car windows, on frequent commutes between my mom's home in the Susquehanna Valley of South Central PA to my university - IUP - located in the Laurel Highlands of Western PA.

I'm happy to report, though, that since I've returned to the Commonwealth I have discovered that Pennsylvania is home to thousands upon thousands of miles of trail, including portions of three national trails and a handful of other long trails. To manage this vast trail network, there are several hiking clubs that staff an army of volunteers - my local club is the Philadelphia Trail Club (PTC) - and there is even a statewide advocacy group - the Keystone Trails Association (KTA).

I have contacted both the PTC and the KTA this week seeking out volunteer opportunities, and these groups are so on the ball representatives have already contacted me and eagerly recruited me to get involved.

The PTC maintains a 10-mile portion of the Appalachian Trail, north of Allentown, and on Saturday, July 13, I will be joining members of the PTC's trail crew to clear an AT-access trail within PA State Gamelands near Lehigh Gap.

Mill Creek Trail, in need of some maintenance, French Creek State Park
On September 7, I will be volunteering as a trail sweep for the KTA's Super Hike along the Susquehanna River between York and Lancaster counties. For that event I'll be clearing the trail, making sure all participants are ahead of me and no one is left behind, while removing all flagging tape from the last quarter of the 29.6-mile course. (Next year I plan on training to actually do the Super Hike!)

Hiking is such an amazing activity for achieving and maintaining physical and mental fitness, so I'm excited about the chance to volunteer to support the local hiking community here in Pennsylvania. Maybe I'll meet some folks along the way, too, so I can finally find some hiking buddies to join me on my many planned hikes for the remainder of the summer and the rest of the year.

Brian Schwarz is an award-winning journalist whose career was derailed by super obesity. He fought his way back to health - losing 165 pounds in the process of his "fit-life journey". A professional communicator by trade and activator by nature, Brian's personal mission is to inspire others live their fullest lives. Follow Brian on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment