Friday, August 10, 2012

Seeking mindfulness along the La Luz Trail


Mindfulness is a concept that has helped me over the past few years to accomplish things I previously thought were impossible. According to Buddhist writer James Baraz:
“Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).”
At the top of the La Luz Trail, near the upper tram terminal
I have applied this concept to eating, though not as consistently as I would like to, and to exercise. Tomorrow, I'm going to challenge myself to apply it to hiking.

I have been working toward a goal now for a couple of years that I am planning on accomplishing tomorrow - hiking the La Luz Trail in Albuquerque, NM. The path from the lower tram terminal to the upper tram terminal is about 10 miles long with an elevation gain of well over 3,500 feet, so it will take much of the day to complete. I'm excited about this opportunity, too, because I feel physically and mentally prepared, and I will be hiking with friends.

The last time I hiked with friends, I ran into some trouble because of my pacing. I tend to hike quickly in short energetic bursts and then take frequent breaks when I come winded. This can be annoying to more experienced hikers who pace themselves appropriately to be able to continue on with the ascent with fewer breaks. Tomorrow, I will apply the principles of mindfulness to modify my hiking style so I can hike more in rhythm with the other hikers but also so I, too, can enjoy a more zen-like experience.

What does this mean? Well, I'll hike more slowly and methodically, focusing on the rhythm of my steps and how my pace influences my breathing and the beating of my heart. I am going to listen to my internal sounds and patterns as well as those I hear outside, along the trail, above, below and all around me. And as long as I know that I am well, I am going to accept temporary discomfort rather than wishing to change it by taking so many breaks when they really are not needed.

I'm excited about trying out a new technique to hiking. I've improved so much over the past year, but I still have so much farther to go if I'm going to accomplish the goal of doing the 20-mile Cactus-to-Clouds hike in Palm Springs within the next year. Actually, I shouldn't say if, because I'm confident mindfulness will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment