Friday, June 15, 2012

Hiking: Trail Food - It's better safe than sorry!

"Be prepared!" The Boy Scout motto could save your life!
I get questions about hiking all the time these days, and one of the most common questions is "What do you pack to eat?" Well, on every day hike (planned for up to 8 hours on the trail), I pretty much pack the same snacks. I actually only eat about a half or two-thirds of what's listed here, but as I learned in Boy Scouts, it's best to be prepared. And since I hike mostly in mountain wilderness areas, I've got to be ready to stay overnight in case of a sudden change in conditions or in the event I become injured while out on the trail.

Here's the list:

  • 2 bananas
  • Trail mix (unsalted)
    • 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds
    • 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
    • 2 shelled walnuts
    • 4 raw almonds
    • 4 prunes
    • 2 figs
  • 1 organic apple
  • 1 orange
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    • 2 slices whole wheat bread
    • 1 tbsp. no-sugar-added preserves
    • 1.5 tbsp. no-sugar-added, unsalted crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 granola bar
  • 5 to 6 liters of water (I live in the desert southwest and hydration is key!)

This list may seem like overkill to more experienced hikers - admittedly I've never needed all of what I carry (so far). But like I said before, I'd rather be safe than sorry! Also, I drink one liter of water as soon as I get up in the morning and another liter of water on my way to the trail head. Oh, and I keep a gallon of water in my truck for post-hike, too. The worst thing that can happen out on the trail is to become dehydrated. Food, you can live without. But lack of water can lead you to making poor decisions that can be fatal.




No comments:

Post a Comment