Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hiking: Fourth 10-mile trip plan REVISED

Sunrise on the Embudito Trail
It's time to plan for my fourth 10-miler - again. Last weekend, I planned to hike 5.25 miles along the Embudito Trail, into Sandia Wilderness, to reach the South Peak close to where it runs into the Crest Trail. Due to lingering ice about halfway up, I was turned back and hiked only five miles or so.

I was bummed, and I've been wracking my brain all week to come up with an interesting hike - one with pay off - that I could do before the mountains' final thaw. Also, I'm being mindful of spending money and wasting gas, which is why I haven't opted for some of the nice peaks south of Albuquerque or closer to Arizona. I just can't afford it.

So with that in mind, I've come up with a modified trip plan, one that incorporates what I did this past weekend with a 100 percent reliance on public transportation. Since I have a bus pass from work, this trip won't cost me a dime!

The only problem is that the merit badge guidelines call for a hike over 10 contiguous miles. For this trip plan, though, I'm making an exception. How can an hour-long bus ride after the first two miles of hiking be considered any different than sitting under a shade tree enjoying lunch on a "contiguous" hike? It couldn't...and if it could, oh well. I'm doing this for me, remember!

So here's the plan. I will set out from my front door at around 8 a.m. and walk two miles on slightly hilly street terrain along Girard Street to its intersection at Lomas Boulavard. There I will wait for the 8:21 a.m. Route 5 bus (ABQ Ride) to arrive at the Montgomery/Tramway Park and Ride by 9:08. (I'll read up on wilderness survival and Leave No Trace principles along the way).

From there, I may grab a coffee at the Starbucks there and begin the mile walk up hill through the Glenwood Hills neighborhood to the Embudito Trail Head. So before even stepping onto the trail I will have hiked a good three miles.

I'll do the same hike as this past weekend, which I wrote about here, and from the trail head home I'll just retrace the steps outlined above. I'll catch the 2:03 p.m. to arrive at Lomas and Girard by 2:53 p.m. and walk the last two miles home. This makes the hike a total of 11 miles, and I'll be home by 3:30 or 4 p.m. at the latest, just in time to cook a nice dinner and relax with my boys.

NOTE: Considering that I walk my dogs a minimum of one mile each morning and each evening, I will be walking a total 13 miles on Saturday. So I will definitely plan on chilling on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment