Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hiking: Setting new goals

I've been hiking up a storm here in Albuquerque and have finally adjusted to the altitude. After about four hikes, each with a 1,200-foot elevation gain, today I tried a hike with a gain of 1,800 feet, and I felt like I could have kept going once I'd reached the summit. Long story short: I'm ready to get back to work on completing the final requirements of the BSA Hiking Merit Badge. This means I'll be planning three final hikes - two 10-mile hikes and one 20 miler.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do for the 20-mile hike, but I have a few 10-mile hike options picked out for when the snow along South Sandia Crest has had a chance to thaw. Here they are:
  1. Three Gun Spring Trail north from the trail head in Carnuel, to Embudito Trail heading east to Sandia Crest Trail Junction, then back, 11 miles.
  2. Trail 135 (from the trail head near Tijeras) and the CCC Trail to the summit, then back to the trail head along the South Crest Trail, 10 miles.
  3. Pino Trail east to the summit, then South Crest Trail to the upper tram terminal, taking the tram to the lower terminal and continue the hike via Foothills Trails back to the Elena Gallegos parking area, 10 miles.
Since I'll probably want to get a start on finishing this up before the spring thaw, I will most likely hike a 10-mile network of Foothills Trails, starting and finishing at the Copper Trail Head, sometime within the next two weeks.

For the 20 mile hike I'm thinking I may do the entire Crest Trail, from Placitas to Tijeras, which would actually be more like 26 miles. I think this would be an amazing capstone to this project. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment